Associate Professor in Statistics
PhD. (Spatial Statistics), MSc. Statistics, BSoc.
Associate Professor Lawrence Kazembe has over 15 years experience in University Teaching and research. He did his PhD. in Spatial Statistics. He teaches Spatial Statistics, Statistical Inference, Bayesian Statistics, Non-parametric methods, Discrete data analysis, and Categorical data analysis in the maters in biostatistics programme. He has successfully supervised 4 masters students; Mike Chipeta, James Chirombo, Masford Banda, and Bruce Phiri who have since graduated in the programme, he is currently supervising 6 more students.He has previously served as Dean of Faculty of Science and Coordinator of MSc. Biostatistics at Chancellor College. He is currently on sabbatical leave at University of Namibia.
His research interests are in spatial statistics with applications to tropical communicable diseases, such as predicting malaria prevalence risk using point referenced spatial data, analysing and mapping childhood under nutrition, modelling childhood comorbities of pneumonia, malaria and diarrhoea.
He has contributed to over 60 publications in peer reviewed statistical methodology and biomedical science journals. He has also collaborated regionally and internationally in a number of articles
List of Publications
- Kazembe LN (2014). Mapping socio-economic inequalities in health status among Malawian children: a mixed model approach. Chapter 5: In Kandala N-B, Ghilagaber G: Advanced modeling of maternal and child health in Africa. Springer July 2013; pp: 85-107
- Kazembe LN, Mathanga DP (2016). Estimating risk factors of urban malaria in Blantyre, Malawi: a spatial regression analysis. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. Accepted.
- Phiri BB, Ngwira B, Kazembe LN (2016). Analysing risk factors of co-occurrence of Schistosomiasis haematobium and hookworm using bivariate regression models: case study of Chikwawa, Malawi. Parasites Epidemiology and Control. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.parepi.2016.02.001.
- Banda M, Kazembe LN, Lewycka S, King C, Phiri T, Masache G, Kazembe P, Mwansambo C (2016). Spatial Modelling of Perinatal Mortality in Mchinji, Malawi. Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology. 16:50-58.
- Ngwira A, Kazembe LN (2016). Analysis of severity of childhood anaemia in Malawi: A Bayesian ordered categories model. Journal of Open Access Medical Statistics. In print.
- Kazembe LN, Kamndaya MS (2016). Hierarchical spatial modelling of pneumonia prevalence when response outcome has misclassification error: Application to household data from Malawi. Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology. 16:35-42.
- Masangwi SJ, Ferguson NS, Grimason AM, Morse TD, Kazembe LN. The Pattern of variation between diarrhoea and malaria coexistence with corresponding risk factors in Chikhwawa, Malawi: A bivariate multilevel analysis. Int J Env Res Public Health. 2015, 12:8526-8541.
- Mtambo OPL, Masangwi SJ, Kazembe LN (2015). Spatial quintile regression using INLA with applications to childhood overweight in Malawi. Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology. 13:7-14.
- Kamndaya M, Vearey J, Thomas L, Kabiru CW, Kazembe L (2015). The role of material deprivation and consumerism in the decisions to engage in transactional sex among young people in Blantyre, Malawi. Global Public Health: An International Journal for Research, Policy and Practice. 11:1-14.
- Ngwira A, Kazembe LN (2015). Bayesian random effects modelling with application to childhood anemia in Malawi. BMC Public Health. 15:161.
- Kamndaya MS, Kazembe LN, Kabiru C, Thomas L. Vearey J (2015). Material deprivation and unemployment affect coercive sex among young people in the urban slums of Blantyre, Malawi: a multilevel approach. Health and Place. 33:90-100.
- Chipeta MG, Ngwira BM, Simonga C, Kazembe LN (2014). Zero adjusted models with applications to analysing helminths count data. BMC Research Notes. 7:856.
- Pazvakawambwa L, Indongo N, Kazembe L (2014). A hurdle negative regression model for non-martial fertility in Namibia. J Math Systems Science. 4: 498-508.
- Chirombo JJ, Lowe R, Kazembe LN (2014). Using structured regression models to estimate risk factors of malaria in Malawi: analysis using 2010 malaria indicator survey data. PLoS ONE. 9(7): e101116.
- Mbewe R, Pemba D, Kazembe L, Mhango C, Chiotha S (2014). The impact of Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis (Bti) on adult and larvae black fly populations. Malawi J Sci Technol, 10(1): 86-92.
- Mtambo OPL, Masangwi SJ, Kazembe LN (2014). Analysis of Childhood Stunting in Malawi using Bayesian Structured Additive Quantile Regression Model. Int J Statistics and Applications, 4(3).
- Kamndaya M, Thomas L, Vearey J, Sartorius B, Kazembe L (2014). Material Deprivation Affects High Sexual Risk Behavior among Young People in Urban Slums, South Africa. J Urban Health. 91(3): 581-591.
- Bennett A, Kazembe LN, Ali D, Mathanga DP, Snow RW, Noor A. Mapping malaria transmission intensity in Malawi: 2000-2010. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 89(5):840-9.
- Kazembe LN. Additive regression model to investigate the relationship between childhood health and socio-economic status. Spatial and spatio-temporal epidemiology. 2013, 6:71-84.
- Okiro EA, Kazembe LN, Kabira CW, Ligomeka J, Noor AM, Ali D, Snow RW. Childhood malaria admission rates to four hospitals in Malawi between 2000 and 2010. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(4): e62214.
- Neema I, Kazembe LN. Today, tomorrow, forever: A Bayesian ordered categories model for treatment seeking in febrile children. Int. Sci. Technol. J. Namibia 2013, 1(1-2): 21-34.
- SanJoaquin MA, Allain TJ, Molyneux ME, Benjamin L, Everett DB, Kazembe LN, et al. (2013) Surveillance Programme of IN-patients and Epidemiology (SPINE): Implementation of an Electronic Data Collection Tool within a Large Hospital in Malawi. PLoS Med 2013, 10(3): e1001400. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001400.
- Chipeta M, Ngwira B, Kazembe LN. Analysis of Schistosomiasis hematobium infection prevalence and intensity in Chikwawa, Malawi: an application of a two-part model. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 2013, 7(3): e2131.
- Masangwi SJ, Ferguson NS, Grimason AM, Morse TD, Zawdie G, Kazembe LN. Patterns of Maternal Knowledge and Its Implications for Diarrhoea control in Southern Malawi: A multilevel thresholds of change analysis. Int J Env Res Public Health. 2012, 9:955-969.
- Masangwi SJ, Ferguson NS, Grimason AM, Morse TD, Zawdie G, Kazembe LN Community knowledge variation, bednet coverage and the role of a district health care system and their implications for malaria control in southern Malawi. South Afric J Epidemiol Infection. 2012, 27(3):116-125.
- Kalinga-Chirwa R, Ngongondo C, Pemba D, Kazembe LN. Linking rainfall and irrigation to clinically reported malaria cases in some villages in Chikhwawa District, Malawi. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. 2011, 36: 887-894.
- Wanda E, Monjerezi M, Mwatseteza J, Kazembe LN. Hydro-geochemical appraisal of groundwater quality from weathered basement aquifers in Northern Malawi. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. 2011, 36:1197-1207.
- Masangwi SJ, Ferguson NS, Grimason AM, Morse TD, Zawdie G, Kazembe LN. Household and community variations and nested risk factors for diarrhoea prevalence in Southern-tip of Malawi: A binary logistic multilevel analysis. International Journal of Environmental Health Research 2010, 20(2):141-158.
- Kazembe LN, Mpeketula PMG. Detecting geographical variability in malaria risk using spatial models. Biomedical Statistics and Clinical Epidemiology 2010, 3(1):43-49.
- Kazembe LN, Mpeketula PMG. Quantifying spatial disparities in neonatal mortality using a structured additive regression model. PLoS One. Vol 5. June 2010.
- Masangwi SJ, Ferguson N, Grimason AM, Zawdie G, Kazembe LN, Morse TD. Care-seeking behaviour and their implications for malaria control in southern Malawi. Southern African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 2010, 25:22-26.
- Kazembe LN, Muula AS, Simoonga C. Joint spatial modeling of common morbidities of childhood fever and diarrhoea in Malawi. Health and Place. 2009, 15(2):165-172.
- Chirwa TF, Bogaerts J, Chirwa ED, Kazembe LN. Performance of selected nonparametric tests for discrete longitudinal data under different patterns of missing data. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics. 2009, 19(1):190-203.
- Kazembe LN. Modelling individual fertility levels in Malawian women: A spatial semiparametric regression model. Statistical Methods and Applications. 2009, 18(2):237-255.
- Kazembe LN. A semiparametric sequential ordinal model with applications to analyse first birth intervals. Austrian Journal of Statistics. 2009, 38 (2): 83-99.
- Kazembe LN, Mpeketula PMG. Geographical analysis of malaria-attributable mortality among Malawian children. Malawi Journal of Science and Technology 2009, 10:1-6.
- Siziya S, Rudatsikira E, Kazembe LN, Muula AS. Harmful lifestyles cluster among in-scho oladolescents who are sexually active in Zambia. BMC Peadiatrics. 2008, 8:6.
- Kazembe LN, Chirwa TF, Simbeye JS, Namangale JJ. Applications of Bayesian approach in modelling risk of malaria-related hospital mortality. BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2008, 8:6. 12.
- Simoonga C, Kazembe LN, Kristensen TK, Olsen A, Appleton CC, Mubita P, Mabila L. The epidemiology and small-scale spatial heterogeneity of urinary schistosomiasis in Lusaka province, Zambia. GeoSpatial Health. 2008, 3:57-67.
- Kazembe LN. Spatial modelling of initiation and duration of breastfeeding: Applications to analyse breastfeeding behaviour in Malawi - I. World Health and Population, 2008, 10: 47-64.
- Kazembe LN, Appleton CC, Kleinschmidt I. Choices of treatment for malarial fever: Examining spatial patterns. Malaria Journal. 2007, 6:40.
- Kazembe LN. Spatial modelling and risk factors of malaria incidence in northern Malawi. Acta Tropica. 2007, 102:126-137.
- Kazembe LN, Namangale JJ. A Bayesian multinomial model to analyse spatial patterns of childhood co-morbidity in Malawi. European Journal of Epidemiology. 2007, 22(8):545-556.
- Kazembe LN, Appleton CC, Kleinschmidt I. Geographical disparities in core population coverage indicators for Roll Back Malaria in Malawi. International Journal of Health Equity 2007, 6:5.
- Kazembe LN, Muula AS, Appleton CC, Kleinschmidt I. Modelling the effect of malaria endemicity on the spatial variation of childhood morbidities in Malawi. International Journal of Health Geographics. 2007, 6:33.
- Rudatsikira E, Siziya S, Kazembe LN, Muula A. Prevalence and associated factors of physical fighting among school-going adolescents in Namibia. Annals of General Psychiatry. 2007, 6:18.
- Kazembe LN, Appleton CC, Kleinschmidt I. Spatial analysis of the relationship between early childhood mortality and malaria endemicity in Malawi. GeoSpatial Health. 2007, 2:41-50.
- Muula AS, Kazembe LN, Rudatsikira E, Siziya S. Suicidal ideation and associated factors among in-school adolescents in Zambia. Tanzania Health Research Bulletin. 2007, 9:202-206.
- Kazembe LN, Kleinschmidt I, Holtz T and Sharp B. Spatial analysis and mapping of malaria risk using point-referenced prevalence data. International Journal of Health Geographics. 2006, 5:41.
- Kazembe LN, Kleinschmidt I, Sharp B. Patterns of malaria-related hospital admissions and mortality among Malawian children: an example of spatial modelling. Malaria Journal. 2006, 5:93.