Professor Mavuto Mukaka is an Associate Professor at the University of Oxford. He is an Honorary Professor of Biostatistics at the Malawi University of Science and Technology; and he is a Visiting Professor at the University of Malawi.
He received his university education from University of Liverpool, United Kingdom; Macquarie University, Australia; and Chancellor College, University of Malawi. He did his postdoctoral research in Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University (USA).
Professor Mavuto Mukaka is currently working in the Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford (UK). He is the Head of Statistics and a senior researcher based at the Mahidol-Oxford Tropical Research Unit, Mahidol University, Bangkok in Thailand.
He also has an honorary position at the College of Medicine, University of Malawi where he teaches and supervises postgraduate students since 2004. He also supervises MSc/PhD students at Wits University, RSA and Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia.
He has vast experience in lecturing the following MSc Statistics courses: Clinical Trials, Longitudinal Data Analysis, Survival analysis, and Discrete Data Analysis. He has been teaching MSc students in the Masters of Biostatistics programme at Chancellor College since its first intake in 2010.
He has supervised/co-supervised several MSc and PhD/DPhil students at the University of Oxford and at other universities.
Professor Mavuto Mukaka has successfully supervised masters theses of 12 students in the Masters of Biostatistics programme at Chancellor College as follows: Louis Banda, Madalitso Tolani, Andrew Kumitawa, Christopher Stanley, Rabson Dzinza, Halima Twabi, Mafase Ng’ong’ola Sesani, Vincent Samuel, Shadreck Mota, Emmanuel Banda, Danger Masangwi and Evarista Kudowa who have since graduated from the programme. He is currently supervising three more students in the programme.
He designs and delivers several yearly statistics short courses that are run in Bangkok, Thailand.
He has more than 80 publications to his name in peer reviewed statistical methodology and biomedical science journals. His current research interests focuses on the Design and Analysis of Cluster Randomized Trials and Statistical Methods of Handling Missing Data with applications in Clinical Trials.
He has been actively involved in a variety of advisory committees including Data and Safety Monitoring Boards (DSMBs) as a Trial Statistician. He has also been a member of Malawi’s regulatory authority (the Malawi Pharmacy Medicines and Poisons Board) responsible for statistical review of study protocols. He is also a reviewer and statistical editor in international biomedical science journals.
- Yin M, Lim C, Mukaka M, Cooper BS. Statistical considerations in the design and analysis of non-inferiority trials with binary endpoints in the presence of non-adherence: a simulation study. Wellcome Open Research 2020, 4:207
- Wirichada P, Poomchaichote T , Cuman G , Cheah P , Waithira N, Mukaka M, Naemiratch B,
Kulpijit N, Chanviriyavuth R, Asarath S , Ruangkajorn S , Silan M , Stoppa S, Zuanna GD , Ongkili D, Cheah PY, Osterrieder A, Schneiders M, Mackworth-Young CRS , Cheah PY, Social, ethical and behavioural aspects of COVID-19. Wellcome Open Research 2020, 5:90
- van der Pluijm RW,Tripura R, Hoglund RM, Phyo AP; Lek D, …, Mukaka M, …, PJ Day NPJ, White NJ, Dondorp AM. Triple Artemisinin based Combination Therapies (TACTs) versus ACTs for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: a multi-centre, open label, randomised clinical trial by the Tracking Resistance to Artemisinin Collaboration. The Lancet: 20-00854 (In Press -Accepted on 21 February 2020)
- Vantaux A, Kim S, Piv E, Chy S, Berne L, Khim N, Lek D, Siv S, Mukaka M, Taylor W, Ménard D. Significant efficacy of single low dose primaquine compared to stand alone artemisinin combination therapy in reducing gametocyte carriage in Cambodian patients with uncomplicated multidrug resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria. AAC: 02108-19R1 (In Press -Accepted on 7 March 2020)
- von Seidlein L, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Jittamala P, Pongsuwan P, Chotivanich K, Tarning J, Hoglund RM, Winterberg M, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Sirithiranont P, Doran Z, Ockenhouse CF, Ivinson K, Lee C, Birkett AJ, Kaslow DC, Singhasivanon P, Day NPJ, Dondorp AM, White NJ, Pukrittayakamee S: Combining antimalarial drugs and vaccine for malaria elimination campaigns: a randomised safety and immunogenicity trial of RTS,S/AS01 administered with dihydroartemisinin, piperaquine, and primaquine in healthy Thai adult volunteers. Human vaccines & immunotherapeutics 2020, 16(1):33-41.
- Taylor WRJ, Kheng S, Muth S, Tor P, Kim S, Bjorge S, Topps N, Kosal K, Sothea K, Souy P, Char CM, Vanna C, Ly P, Khieu V, Christophel E, Kerleguer A, Pantaleo A, Mukaka M, Menard D, Baird JK: Corrigendum to: Hemolytic Dynamics of Weekly Primaquine Antirelapse Therapy Among Cambodians With Acute Plasmodium vivax Malaria With or Without Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency. J Infect Dis 2020, 221(5):854.
- Phommasone K, van Leth F, Peto TJ, Landier J, Nguyen TN, Tripura R, Pongvongsa T, Lwin KM, Kajeechiwa L, Thwin MM, Parker DM, Wiladphaingern J, Nosten S, Proux S, Nguon C, Davoeung C, Rekol H, Adhikari B, Promnarate C, Chotivanich K, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Jittmala P, Cheah PY, Dhorda M, Imwong M, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Pukrittayakamee S, Newton PN, Thwaites GE, Day NPJ, Mayxay M, Hien TT, Nosten FH, Cobelens F, Dondorp AM, White NJ, von Seidlein L: Mass drug administrations with dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine and single low dose primaquine to eliminate Plasmodium falciparum have only a transient impact on Plasmodium vivax: Findings from randomised controlled trials. PLoS One 2020, 15(2):e0228190.
- Phommasone K, van Leth F, Imwong M, Henriques G, Pongvongsa T, Adhikari B, Peto TJ, Promnarate C, Dhorda M, Sirithiranont P, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Day NPJ, Cobelens F, Dondorp AM, Newton PN, White NJ, von Seidlein L, Mayxay M: The use of ultrasensitive quantitative-PCR to assess the impact of primaquine on asymptomatic relapse of Plasmodium vivax infections: a randomised, controlled trial in Lao PDR. Malar J 2020, 19(1):4.
- Cohen DB, Mbendera K, Maheswaran H, Mukaka M, Mangochi H, Phiri L, Madan J, Davies G, Corbett E, Squire B: Delivery of long-term-injectable agents for TB by lay carers: pragmatic randomised trial. Thorax 2020, 75(1):64-71.
- von Seidlein L, Peto TJ, Landier J, Nguyen TN, Tripura R, Phommasone K, Pongvongsa T, Lwin KM, Keereecharoen L, Kajeechiwa L, Thwin MM, Parker DM, Wiladphaingern J, Nosten S, Proux S, Corbel V, Tuong-Vy N, Phuc-Nhi TL, Son DH, Huong-Thu PN, Tuyen NTK, Tien NT, Dong LT, Hue DV, Quang HH, Nguon C, Davoeung C, Rekol H, Adhikari B, Henriques G, Phongmany P, Suangkanarat P, Jeeyapant A, Vihokhern B, van der Pluijm RW, Lubell Y, White LJ, Aguas R, Promnarate C, Sirithiranont P, Malleret B, Renia L, Onsjo C, Chan XH, Chalk J, Miotto O, Patumrat K, Chotivanich K, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Jittmala P, Kaehler N, Cheah PY, Pell C, Dhorda M, Imwong M, Snounou G, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Lee SJ, Simpson JA, Pukrittayakamee S, Singhasivanon P, Grobusch MP, Cobelens F, Smithuis F, Newton PN, Thwaites GE, Day NPJ, Mayxay M, Hien TT, Nosten FH, Dondorp AM, White NJ: The impact of targeted malaria elimination with mass drug administrations on falciparum malaria in Southeast Asia: A cluster randomised trial. PLoS Med 2019, 16(2):e1002745.
- von Seidlein L, Peerawaranun P, Mukaka M, Nosten FH, Nguyen TN, Hien TT, Tripura R, Peto TJ, Pongvongsa T, Phommasone K, Mayxay M, Imwong M, Watson J, Pukrittayakamee S, Day NPJ, Dondorp AM: The probability of a sequential Plasmodium vivax infection following asymptomatic Plasmodium falciparum and P. vivax infections in Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. Malar J 2019, 18(1):449.
- van der Pluijm RW, Imwong M, Chau NH, Hoa NT, Thuy-Nhien NT, Thanh NV, Jittamala P, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Chutasmit K, Saelow C, Runjarern R, Kaewmok W, Tripura R, Peto TJ, Yok S, Suon S, Sreng S, Mao S, Oun S, Yen S, Amaratunga C, Lek D, Huy R, Dhorda M, Chotivanich K, Ashley EA, Mukaka M, Waithira N, Cheah PY, Maude RJ, Amato R, Pearson RD, Goncalves S, Jacob CG, Hamilton WL, Fairhurst RM, Tarning J, Winterberg M, Kwiatkowski DP, Pukrittayakamee S, Hien TT, Day NP, Miotto O, White NJ, Dondorp AM: Determinants of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine treatment failure in Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia, Thailand, and Vietnam: a prospective clinical, pharmacological, and genetic study. The Lancet Infectious diseases 2019, 19(9):952-961.
- Taylor WRJ, Kheng S, Muth S, Tor P, Kim S, Bjorge S, Topps N, Kosal K, Sothea K, Souy P, Char CM, Vanna C, Ly P, Khieu V, Christophel E, Kerleguer A, Pantaleo A, Mukaka M, Menard D, Baird JK: Hemolytic Dynamics of Weekly Primaquine Antirelapse Therapy Among Cambodians With Acute Plasmodium vivax Malaria With or Without Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency. J Infect Dis 2019, 220(11):1750-1760.
- Stanley CC, Kazembe LN, Mukaka M, Otwombe KN, Buchwald AG, Hudgens MG, Mathanga DP, Laufer MK, Chirwa TF: Systematic review of analytical methods applied to longitudinal studies of malaria. Malar J 2019, 18(1):254.
- Sevene E, Banda CG, Mukaka M, Maculuve S, Macuacua S, Vala A, Piqueras M, Kalilani-Phiri L, Mallewa J, Terlouw DJ, Khoo SH, Lalloo DG, Mwapasa V: Efficacy and safety of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for treatment of Plasmodium falciparum uncomplicated malaria in adult patients on antiretroviral therapy in Malawi and Mozambique: an open label non-randomised interventional trial. Malar J 2019, 18(1):277.
- Rahimi BA, Rahimy N, Mukaka M, Ahmadi Q, Hayat MS, Wasiq AW: Determinants of treatment failure among tuberculosis patients in Kandahar City, Afghanistan: A 5-year retrospective cohort study. International journal of mycobacteriology 2019, 8(4):359-365.
- Phakhounthong K, Mukaka M, Dittrich S, Tanganuchitcharnchai A, Day NPJ, White LJ, Newton PN, Blacksell SD: The temporal dynamics of humoral immunity to Rickettsia typhi infection in murine typhus patients. Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2019.
- Pell CL, Adhikari B, Myo Thwin M, Kajeechiwa L, Nosten S, Nosten FH, Sahan KM, Smithuis FM, Nguyen TN, Hien TT, Tripura R, Peto TJ, Sanann N, Nguon C, Pongvongsa T, Phommasone K, Mayxay M, Mukaka M, Peerawaranun P, Kaehler N, Cheah PY, Day NPJ, White NJ, Dondorp AM, von Seidlein L: Community engagement, social context and coverage of mass anti-malarial administration: Comparative findings from multi-site research in the Greater Mekong sub-Region. PLoS One 2019, 14(3):e0214280.
- Peerawaranun P, Landier J, Nosten FH, Nguyen TN, Hien TT, Tripura R, Peto TJ, Phommasone K, Mayxay M, Day NPJ, Dondorp A, White N, von Seidlein L, Mukaka M*: Intracluster correlation coefficients in the Greater Mekong Subregion for sample size calculations of cluster randomised malaria trials. Malar J 2019, 18(1):428.
- Kobylinski KC, Jittamala P, Hanboonkunupakarn B, Pukrittayakamee S, Pantuwatana K, Phasomkusolsil S, Davidson SA, Winterberg M, Hoglund RM, Mukaka M, van der Pluijm RW, Dondorp A, Day NPJ, White NJ, Tarning J: Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Mosquito-Lethal Effects of Ivermectin in Combination With Dihydroartemisinin-Piperaquine and Primaquine in Healthy Adult Thai Subjects. Clinical pharmacology and therapeutics 2019.
- Hanboonkunupakarn B, van der Pluijm RW, Hoglund R, Pukrittayakamee S, Winterberg M, Mukaka M, Waithira N, Chotivanich K, Singhasivanon P, White NJ, Dondorp AM, Tarning J, Jittamala P: Sequential Open-Label Study of the Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetic Interactions between Dihydroartemisinin-Piperaquine and Mefloquine in Healthy Thai Adults. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2019, 63(8).
- Dysoley L, Kim S, Lopes S, Khim N, Bjorges S, Top S, Huch C, Rekol H, Westercamp N, Fukuda MM, Hwang J, Roca-Feltrer A, Mukaka M, Menard D, Taylor WR: The tolerability of single low dose primaquine in glucose-6-phosphate deficient and normal falciparum-infected Cambodians. BMC Infect Dis 2019, 19(1):250.
- Burns RJL, Douangngeun B, Theppangna W, Mukaka M, Wegner MD, Windsor PA, Blacksell SD: Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) virus serological surveillance in goats in Lao PDR: Issues for disease eradication in a low-resource disease-free setting. Transbound Emerg Dis 2019, 66(2):939-947.
- Banda CG, Chaponda M, Mukaka M, Mulenga M, Hachizovu S, Kabuya JB, Mulenga J, Sikalima J, Kalilani-Phiri L, Terlouw DJ, Khoo SH, Lalloo DG, Mwapasa V: Efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine as treatment for Plasmodium falciparum uncomplicated malaria in adult patients on efavirenz-based antiretroviral therapy in Zambia: an open label non-randomised interventional trial. Malar J 2019, 18(1):180.
- Althaus T, Greer RC, Swe MMM, Cohen J, Tun NN, Heaton J, Nedsuwan S, Intralawan D, Sumpradit N, Dittrich S, Doran Z, Waithira N, Thu HM, Win H, Thaipadungpanit J, Srilohasin P, Mukaka M, Smit PW, Charoenboon EN, Haenssgen MJ, Wangrangsimakul T, Blacksell S, Limmathurotsakul D, Day N, Smithuis F, Lubell Y: Effect of point-of-care C-reactive protein testing on antibiotic prescription in febrile patients attending primary care in Thailand and Myanmar: an open-label, randomised, controlled trial. The Lancet Global health 2019, 7(1):e119-e131.